National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) was founded in 1985 in October. From the start, the aim of NBCAM has been to promote mammography as the most effective weapon to fight against breast cancer. In 1992, the late Evelyn H. Lauder founded the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF), a non-profit organization to fund breast cancer research. She designed the Pink Ribbon and had it distributed to raise awareness.
Through BCRF and other like-minded organizations, breast cancer mortality rates has decreased by 38% over the past 20 years. Now, communities are more aware of the importance of early prevention, customized treatments for varying types of breast cancer and less invasive surgical procedures.
As the Estée Lauder Companies’ Breast Cancer Campaign marks its 25th anniversary this year, the 2017 campaign sees a shift in focus from awareness to action with the symbol of the ‘worn’ pink ribbon. A total of 150 million pink ribbons have been distributed worldwide. The Campaign is now present in 70 countries and has carried out more than 1,000 landmark illuminations to raise greater awareness on the disease.
In Malaysia, about 1 in 20 women may get breast cancer in their lifetimes. Early detection and prevention is essential to successful treatment of the disease. The goal here is, hopefully one day, to end breast cancer. Meantime, in Malaysia, there are few activities and events that will be taking place to raise awareness and funds.
We are truly encouraged to see greater awareness amongst Malaysians on breast cancer today, and hope that through our campaign, women and men will be more purposeful in going for screenings, knowing the risk factors and how they can reduce the risk of breast cancer happening. Breast cancer does not discriminate; everyone must play their part. – Paul Slavin, Managing Director of Estée Lauder Malaysia.
WHAT IS ESTEE LAUDER DOING?
1. Sale of Pink Ribbon Products – 100% of profit from Limited Edition Advanced Night Repair Recovery Complex II with Pink Ribbon Keychain and Pink Ribbon Knockout Eyes Collection, starting from September 2017 – June 2018, will be channeled to our local beneficiaries. Local beneficiaries such as National Cancer Society Malaysia, Cancer Research Malaysia, Breast Cancer Welfare Association Malaysia and the College of Radiology uses the funds for medical research, education and support on breast cancer.
2. Pavilion KL Road Show (2-8 October 2017) – A beautiful set up at the center court with information about Advanced Night Repair. Also, on Level 3 Couture Area, visit the booth and learn more about breast cancer, get free screenings and consultations.
3. Art Installation (2-22 October 2017) – This year, Estée Lauder Malaysia partnered with local designer, Orson Liyu, to create majestic art pieces inspired by the Pink Ribbon seen through the eyes of a breast cancer victim, survivor, family, friend or supporter. You can see the majestic art piece at the front of the main entrance before entering into Pavilion.
4. Gardens Mid Valley Road Show (9-15 October 2017) – Just like the Pavilion road show, there will be a booth set up where you can learn more about breast cancer, get free screenings and consultations.
5. Feel Better Workshop (19 October 2017) – This workshop will be held at Majestic Hotel, Kuala Lumpur. Participants will enjoy a full day of pampering, including makeup sessions, hair styling, a personal enrichment workshop and photography sessions to celebrate the beauty that shines through these strong women.
6. The Pink Ball (25 October 2017) – A charity ball will be held at Majestic Hotel, Kuala Lumpur. Join Estee Lauder Malaysia for a memorable evening of good food, enchanting music and wonderful entertainment with Nikki Palikat, Syafinaz Selama and Adibah Noor as they join arms for a worthy cause. The evening will also showcase an auction whereby all proceeds will be donated to Cancer Research Malaysia (CRM), National Cancer Society of Malaysia (NCSM), the College of Radiology Malaysia, and the Breast Cancer Welfare Association (BCWA).
WHAT YOU & I SHOULD BE DOING?
1. Purchase Pink Ribbon Products – I’m already a strong believer in Advanced Night Repair Recovery Complex II for the longest time. Since I’m almost done with my current bottle, I bought this new pink bottle as a replacement. Why not? Since it’s the same price as the brown bottle anyway and by buying the limited edition pink bottle, 100% of the profit goes to charity. A little help goes a long way.
2. Facebook Engagement – Estée Lauder Malaysia is inviting Malaysians to Go Pink by adding pink borders and the iconic pink ribbon to their Facebook profile pictures throughout October 2017. To download the app and add some pink to your profile picture, go to the Facebook tab at www.bcacampaign.com.my
3. Online Donation Drive – Members of the public who wish to make a one-off donation to our local beneficiaries – Cancer Research Malaysia (CRM), National Cancer Society of Malaysia (NCSM), the College of Radiology Malaysia, and the Breast Cancer Welfare Association (BCWA) are welcome to do so. Just click on this link, http://www.bcacampaign.com.my, and look for DONATE NOW.
If you are able to, do participate in the activities organized by Estée Lauder Malaysia to give moral and financial support towards breast cancer survivors. Last but not least, help yourself by going for a physical check-up or get a consultation. Prevention is always better than cure. Have you done your physical screening yet?